Reading Notes: Marriage Tales, Part B

The Dog-Husband
The beginning of this story seems like any other story between a girl and her dog, that is until he turns into a man during the night and sleeps next to her. I am just imagining this in real life. I wonder why the dog turns into the human? Was he cursed to live his life as a dog when it is daylight? Okay she just got pregnant from the dog man. This is strange. Her parents were not happy with this and essentially left her for dead. The girl gave birth to dog pups. The dog man is dead because the father of the girl killed him. It is sad that not only did the parents leave the girl for dead, but they killed her love. Turns out the dog pups can also turn into humans. I am very curious as to how the dogs turn into humans and why they do. Is there something that must happen before they can transform? Maybe I could write a story on this and it could explain how this happens to a lot of people/dogs. This story has many twists and it ends up that the boys become the chiefs of the village.

Image result for dog on bed
the dog sleeping at the foot of the bed

The Youth Who Joined the Deer was another very interesting story. I think that I like the Dog-Husband story better, but this one was still good. These stories make me think of what kind of setting the stories are being told in. For example, does something need to happen and then a story that relates to the issue is told in order to make a connection? Or is this just something that everyone knows from a young age? I think a great story that I could tell is my interpretation on how these stories are told to others. It would involve me creating my own story but retelling a story that already exists.



Bibliography
Marriage Tales written by Stith Thompson, online source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Animal Lover

Week 5 Story: The Tale of a Cat