Wikipedia Trails: From Native Americans in the United States to Black Death

First I started at Native Americans in the United States. I have learned a lot about Native Americans through some classes at OU. I never knew that there were over 500 federally recognized within the US. There are so many that I never knew about.

The next page I went to is Native American Disease and Epidemics. The treatment that the Native Americans received is so appalling and sad to think about. They did not deserve the diseases that they received. The number of disease that Europeans brought over is extensive. I never knew that some tribes lost 25-50% of their population due to disease.

Next I went to Biological Warfare. I think that this concept is incredibly interesting but sad that it is used. There are many ways that biological warfare can be achieved. I never knew that biological agents in armed conflict is a war crime.

Finally I ended up at Black Death. It was one of the most devastating pandemics in human history. I never knew that 75 to 200 million people died from it in the Euroasia area. It is really interesting to think about. It makes me wonder what would have happened if those people didn't die. The world would be different I'm sure. Additionally, I wonder if there will ever be another disease that kills that many people around the world. It is scary to think about.


Citizens burying a plague victim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an Animal Lover

Week 5 Story: The Tale of a Cat